Monday, September 5, 2011

Thoughts about Wes and Lori


            My husband, Shane, and I, Loni, met the Trumans seven years ago when I began my job as a Hall Advisor.  Awhile later Shane began doing research in Dr. Woodbury’s lab and turns out Wes worked there too.  In so many ways, we were so similar: each working the same jobs, preparing to go to medical school, and having our first babies, sweet little girls, just months apart.  However, they were a couple that we looked up to so much.  Wes was the leader in the lab, Lori was the Hall Advisor everyone wanted to be buddies with, and all because they were genuinely kind, loving, happy, wonderful people.  Their Christlike traits were even more evident when we had a small tragedy happen to us.  They reached out a loving hand of friendship, shared their own similar experiences and gave compassion that meant so much to us.  Truly, Wes and Lori are two of the best people we’ve had the pleasure of being friends with.

            When Shane and I learned about Wes’ passing, honesty, it hit us both very hard for several reasons.  First, I had been away visiting my family for several weeks, at that point, so we were already feeling the pang of separation.  Second, because seven years ago, we were headed on the same trajectory.  We had the same dreams and goals.  Then to see how the course of our lives had veered, was remarkably sad to us.  Third, that of all people, they in no way deserved this.  Since our lives were so similar, I couldn’t help but wonder, “Why Wes and Lori and not us?”  And while, of course, I can’t answer that question, I do have faith that a loving Savior was there with them every step of the way, and will be there from here on out.  I know one day they will be reunited as a family forever.  I was reading a conference talk recently and, as they always do, the words brought specific comfort:

“…death is a part of life.  It is true.  We live to die, and we die to live again.  From an eternal perspective, the only death that is truly premature is the death of one who is not prepared to meet God.”  (Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, May 2011, p. 34)

            We know Wes was prepared to meet God and he will live again.  A day or two after hearing about his departure from this life, I was reading through Lori’s blog.  I don’t know why I hadn’t noticed before, but I found the link to their other ‘spiritual’ blog.  I found this post Wes had written.  http://areasonofhope.blogspot.com/2010/06/tender-mercy.html  In it he talks about being frustrated in his job search and decided to watch a devotional which comforted him.  Wes wrote: “The Spirit let me know that God was still aware of me and that He loved me and that if I but trusted Him He would help me find ‘calling’ in life.”  Wes, when we met you, we knew you would be an excellent doctor, but instead, we now know you have a greater calling in the life beyond the veil. 

            Thank you, Wes and Lori, for being such incredible examples of faith and courage; we couldn’t ask for better friends.  May peace and love always be with you and your darling children.

Love,

Shane and Loni Jenks


Wes, Shane and a co-worker presenting their research from Dr. Woodbury's lab at a Bio Physical Society Convention

 Our two baby girls, Lucy and Ella


A picture of their family after having them over for dinner and games


Saying good-bye because we were moving to Texas to go to medical school

No comments:

Post a Comment