Thursday, October 11, 2012

Such a Good Guy

I know this is a year too late, but I just didn't know what to write.   I have shed a lot of tears.  I have probably thought of Wes, Lori or the Phil Truman family every single day in the past year and a half. I have had this on my do-to list for a long time.  Today I've decided to write something because I owe it to Wes's posterity.   First I wanted to mention how incredible the funeral was.  Absolutely the best one I've ever attended.  I loved the talks by those closest to him, and the sweet singing voices of his children. Amazing funeral.
I grew up with Wes and the Truman family in the wonderful Laurelwood Ward of Las Vegas.  He was close buddies with my little brother Matthew.  Wes and a few other boys wore white shirts and helped at my wedding reception.  What a good guy.  As simple and boring as that sounds, Wes was such a good guy.
I remember picking up the phone and Wes would be on the other line needing to talk with Matthew, his voice seemed urgent.  So one time, I decided to listen for an extra second to see what he kept calling for.  (I know, eavesdropping big sister!)  They were both reading the same book, or series, and Wes and Matt wanted to talk about the book.  I thought it was great for a couple of 14 year old boys to get so excited about a book.  Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book.

Yesterday was General Conference.  I was especially touched by Shayne M. Bowen's talk:  'Because I Live, Ye Shall Live Also'.  I thought it was like a love letter to Lori about how to cope with such a sad loss.  I thought of Lori several times during the talk, and cried as I imagined Wes's cute little family all watching this talk at the same time as me.
I have no idea how Lori truly feels.  And I have procrastinating this post because of fear to say the wrong thing.  But I loved Wes.  I loved his faithfulness and example. 
And I love how Lori is so close to the Spirit.  As Lucinda says, Lori can be translated at any time:)
We think about you often Wes.  Thank you for your example, it has made me want to be a better person.

Kristen McArthur Freeman

No comments:

Post a Comment