Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Friends & Examples


I first meet Lori my freshman year at BYU. I happened to move into the same apartment complex she lived in about half way through the school year. I was trying to come out of a rather rough period of my life, and Lori was my visiting teacher. She quickly became a much needed friend to me. As that winter semester drew to a close, I remember her happily telling me about how she was excited to introduce me to two recently returned missionaries who were friends of hers that were moving into the ward. And so, soon after that I met Wes Truman and Ryan Fitzgibbons.

Ryan & Amy with the Thunderstick & other friends after they got engaged.
It was fun to watch Lori and Wes interact, which I did frequently since Lori became my roommate at the start of the next fall semester after she and Wes were engaged. They were so perfect together.

My friendship with Lori and Wes only continued to grow after they were married. I visited their little apartment as often as I could, first in their basement apartment, then at DT, and later at Wyview. Besides such countless visits, there were plenty of meals shared together at the Cannon and Morris Centers or at wherever I was living at the time.  There were game nights, engagements, weddings, and so many other memories of good times together.

I remember the road trip we took to California in Wes and Lori's car so that we could be at our roommate Jeanine's wedding. We cracked the windows of the car since there was no air conditioning, and we listened to Harry Potter III on tape during the drive. We stopped and ate at the Truman family's place in Las Vegas on the way there and back. We enjoyed the Harry Potter III tapes so much that on another occasion we gathered at Wes and Lori's basement apartment to listen to more Harry Potter tapes together under a makeshift tent in their living room.

Lori and Wes always made me feel welcome and important. They were always kind and understanding, even when I was completely unsure of myself. They became my confidants and sounding boards as I tried to maneuver through dating relationships and college. I think Wes is one of the few guys I have ever felt comfortable enough around to express so many of personal feelings and problems to. Even now that I am married and have graduated, Lori and Wes continue to be an important part of my life. I have always looked up to their great examples of love, service, and friendship. Their friendship has blessed me in so many ways.

I will miss seeing Wes and hearing his familiar greeting of “Hey Guys” when he spots Nate (my husband) and me. But I look forward to seeing Wes again someday reunited with Lori and the rest of their family. I love you guys. Thanks for being such wonderful friends and examples.

-Rebecca (Peaden) Scott

2 comments: