Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cousin & Friend

I usually don’t get too emotional but Wes’ funeral truly touched my heart. I was sad for our loss in losing Wes and especially for the loss of Lori and their kids and Wes’ parents and family, but that combined with the feelings of gratitude for have known and been friends with such a good and faithful person truly brought my emotions to the surface.

I’ve heard that the best place to teach the gospel is in a funeral. I know that to be true. Because of Wes’ faithful life the spirit bore powerful witness through those who spoke at the funeral of the truthfulness of the gospel, of eternal families, of the blessing of obedience, of the scriptures.
I am sad for the loss of Wes and I am sad for his family. I pray that they may have peace in their difficult times. My wife and I commented after the funeral that amidst the sadness that we both felt like being there made us want to be better. That’s what Wes did. He helped people feel good about themselves and inspired them to be better. It has been mentioned a lot how Wes didn’t judge and made people feel good about who they were. He truly did that as we can see from the stories told and many that haven’t been told yet.
The last funeral where I was touched in a similar was the funeral of our Grandma Laura Bowler (Me and Wes’ Grandma). We were sad by the loss but inspired by her exemplary life. She, too, made everyone feel important and accepted, and encouraged them in their life’s endeavors, just as Wes did.
Wes was not only my cousin but he was a wonderful friend. We had great times during the summer when he would come to St. George and hang out with my friends, who considered him a great friend. We just had good clean fun! Good memories, good times.
At mine and Jill’s wedding reception when I saw Wes, Lori, and Lucy walk in I told Jill “we need to hang out with them.” It was a feeling I had, a prompting. We got down to Provo every so often and spent time with them. I believe we were always the beneficiaries in these visits and were able to learn much from Wes and Lori. We are grateful.
Thanks Wes, I love you man!
Vince Lundin













Vince, Wes, Travis, Neal, and Mike headed for EFY

No comments:

Post a Comment