Saturday, July 9, 2011

Wes-

I first met Wes when we sat near each other in Mr Teluckys seventh grade math class. I had recently moved with my family to Las Vegas and was desperately in need of finding a core group of friends. The first afternoon we hung out Wes had mentioned earlier that he'd "have his people call my people and we'd do lunch!" He shows up wearing an irish golf cap (that represented, to me, an old world class and intellectuality) and I remember how excited and happy I was to finally have found some friends who were kind, good natured, respectful, and going places. Wes Truman became the ring leader of a group of us who would hang together on and off for the next five years. More than that, Wes became a close personal friend; and an inspiration. His sharp wit, social intuition, righteous leadership, and humor would provide the catalyst for many afternoon and evening recreational activities; spiritual and intellectual ambitions; youthful adventures and overall enthusiasm for life. The purity of Wes's intentions, in all situations, is an example by which I am honored to have witnessed. I remember a long afternoon in underground tunnels, endless games of chess, trading recommendations of music and books, claytionary, swing dancing, kool-aid and the rumpus room, star wars, night-swimming, ice-blocking, wearing wigs and lip-syncing a song by aerosmith, the sub, wyoming, a heretofore unmentioned event involving dishsoap and fountains at a certain unnamed hotel in las vegas (this was actually my idea, sorry BT....) etc. More than anything else though; Wes believed in me. He single-handedly inspired in me a spiritual confidence and sense of self-worth more so than anyone in my entire life. Thanks Wes. I'll miss you.


Austin Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment