Saturday, July 9, 2011

Infectious Soulshine

I was a friend of Wes on our missions in Norway. I was like every
other person who met him, struck by his never-ending exuberance for
life. He was CONSTANTLY happy. But the memory of him that impresses
me most didn't happen in Norway. Upon our returns, we occasionally
crossed paths on BYU campus, and I always saw a smiling face, and a
friend genuinely pleased to see me and genuinely interested in how I
was doing. It was the last time I ever saw him that will always stay
with me. Some time during the summer of 2006, after we'd both
graduated and my wife and I were just days from moving out of Provo,
we ran into him and Lori at some fastfood place on Bulldog Blvd. I
saw my friend with a shaved bald head and a scar across it that looked
like it didn't end. Knowing there'd be a story behind it, I asked
him, and he was very matter-of-fact in explaining all that was
happening with his health, surgery and treatments (as my eyes got
bigger and bigger). After all of that, I was SURE that the stress and
fatigue would have to cloud his infectious soulshine a little bit.
Nope. How silly of me to underestimate him. He was excited to
introduce me to his lovely wife and beautiful little baby girl. He
was thrilled to hear about our plans back east. He mentioned many
times how blessed he was, and how joyful they were together. I don't
even recall specifically what he was referring to, but he even whipped
out his trademark line, "It's a kick in the pants!" I can honestly
say that Wes Truman is a person more full of light than any other I've
ever known.

I marveled to my wife, after we all parted company, how a man with

such obvious trials, and so much uncertainty in his future, could be
SO joyful. I vowed that day to be more like my friend. I've shed
many tears, having heard just today of his passing, but I know he is
well, I know he is safe and happy. I'm sure he misses his soulmate
and sweet children dearly, but I have complete confidence that the
power of his extraordinary faith, and God's power to seal loved ones
together, will bring his wife and children every needful blessing in
his long, but temporary, absence from them. My thoughts and prayers
are with Lori, Lucy and Spencer. Know that the Cramer family loves
you.

To Wes, Lori, Lucy and Spencer, God be with you all til we meet again.


With love,

Nathan Cramer

No comments:

Post a Comment