Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Letter from a Friend

In sorting through some of my things, I found a letter Wes wrote to me when my father passed away. It gave me some peace and hope back then when I was missing my father and now the same letter gives some peace and hope in missing a dear friend.

Chad Watson


July 15, 2007
Dear Chad,
I write to offer my condolences on the loss of your father. I don't have any memories of him other than his being in the background when we would go to your house in high school, but I do assume him to be a great man due to the quality of the son he helped to raise.
This is one of those instances when I don't feel like there are any words that I could say to offer any real solace. So, Lori and I thought we would send you a favorite CD with songs that have comforted us these last couple years. We hope you like it and that it provides some comfort for the days and years ahead.
I also wanted to share with you an experience I had, in the hopes that it will help you as it has helped me. Do you remember in Mr. Artman's math class, when we were just starting to get to know each other, how I would have pretty crazy dreams and tell you about them in that class? In most of them I was being chased by something. They would be perfectly normal dreams, except in the background I knew that something was after me. After a while you suggested that maybe I should just stop running and face "the something." That night I boldened up to your challenge and ended up being bitten in half by a shark. Thanks =).
Anyway, around the same time I had a dream that I think about often now. I don't think it has any deep prophetic meaning or anything like that but it has helped me to maintain hope these last couple of years. So here's the dream, you ready?
I was standing outside of my cottage-like home looking out at an amazing landscape. In the dream I was middle aged, I had a family of my own, and my father had been dead for several years. As I stood, looking at the pristine landscape, I noticed a man running toward me. When he got close enough I recognized him as my father - only he was in the prime of his life. Bewildered, I stared at him. He hugged me before I could say anything, he then invited me to come with him to tell others that it was the day of the resurrection. The last thing I remember was running with him and having a difficult time keeping up.
With this whole brain thing, I've really had to think a lot about the possibility of dying soon and through all the fear, sadness, and uncertainty that accompanies those thoughts I always go back to that dream and what I believe about the resurrection. It helps me to have hope. I know Christ died and was resurrected that we might live again. I know that we will have the opportunity to see all of our loved ones again in the flesh!
There is something else I really want to mention. I don't want to make this into just another way to get you interested in my church, you're a way too cherished friend to do that. But I want to tell you that I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is His church, the one that He started, the one that He runs today through prophets and apostles, the one that holds the real answers to life's tough questions. I wouldn't be so persistent if I didn't know that this was true and that it brings happiness and peace. You can know too, without any doubt, without having to blindly trust me, or anyone but yourself and God, the same things that I know - if you are interested.
Whatever happens, man, know that I love you and that we are praying for you and your family. If you do have any interest in the things that I believe please give me a call or shoot me an email.
Your friend,
Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment