Sunday, July 10, 2011

Childhood Vacation

I'm guessing Wes and I were between 10 and 12 when our families decided to vacation together. We traveled to his Grandparents cabin (I think, that part is a bit hazy!) We went to the lake for a day, a WHOLE day, a 13 HOUR day...and Wes and I refused to wear sunscreen. I guess we thought we would tan? I don't know. We swam, we boated, we had a great time. I vaguely remember the lake though, what I do remember, is the sunburn! Wes and I were sooooo burned..we were blistered all over. We were in pain. The two of us stayed up a good part of the night, playing cards, taking turns taking cold showers. I know that we had to be miserable, but all I have ever remembered is just how much fun that night was, I don't remember blisters, I remember laughter.
My family moved away shortly after that and I never again saw or spoke to Wes. However,as I sat and listened to his friends and family share how positive and fun he was, I knew I had seen that in him all those years ago.

Heather (Ferrin) Sollis

No comments:

Post a Comment