Sunday, July 10, 2011


Wes, Lori, Lucy and Spencer,

Over the last several weeks I have repeatedly thought about what I might contribute to this blog that would honor Wes and benefit Lori, Lucy, and Spencer.  It has been more challenging than I expected and even now I struggle to find the words that can adequately express that the thoughts and feelings of my heart. 

Let me begin by introducing myself to Lucy and Spencer, who I have never had the privilege to meet in person, but have come to know through your family’s wonderful and inspiring blog.  I came to first know your parents while living next door to Wes, Ryan, and Travis in Southridge during the summer of 2002 (our first summer back in Provo after our missions).  There were a large number of recently returned missionaries in our ward and your father was the great pioneer in showing the rest of us how to find and then win the heart of our eternal sweet hearts.  Indeed, I give your father some credit for helping me to find my own eternal companion as it was his love for your mother that brought him to Southridge which in turn attracted Ryan, Travis, and me.  Because of Apartment 3’s friendship with Apartment 28, I was introduced to Jeanine (Fisher) Crane (your mom’s roommate) who later suggested I get to know her sister (now my wife) Amy.  Your parents are two of the most incredible people I have ever had the privilege of knowing and their courtship and marriage have provided me a priceless example of love and service which has and will continue to enrich the life of my family.

Wes, thank you for helping me to be a better friend, husband, father, and priesthood holder.  As I was thinking about how I could best describe you, my mind turned to a few scriptures I had recently shared with a class of perspective elders.  They are description of you and, I hope, will someday help your children to recognize the type of man you were before this life, during mortality and even now:

“And those priests were ordained after the order of his Son, in a manner that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption.

 “And this is the manner after which they were ordained—being called and prepared from the foundation of the world according to the foreknowledge of God, on account of their exceeding faith and good works; in the first place being left to choose good or evil; therefore they having chosen good, and exercising exceedingly great faith, are called with a holy calling, yea, with that holy calling which was prepared with, and according to, a preparatory redemption for such.

 “And thus they have been called to this holy calling on account of their faith, while others would reject the Spirit of God on account of the hardness of their hearts and blindness of their minds, while, if it had not been for this they might have had as great privilege as their brethren.

 “Or in fine, in the first place they were on the same standing with their brethren; thus this holy calling being prepared from the foundation of the world for such as would not harden their hearts, being in and through the atonement of the Only Begotten Son, who was prepared—

 “And thus being called by this holy calling, and ordained unto the high priesthood of the holy order of God, to teach his commandments unto the children of men, that they also might enter into his rest

“Thus they become high priests forever, after the order of the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, who is without beginning of days or end of years, who is full of grace, equity, and truth. And thus it is. Amen.” (Alma 13: 2-6; 9)

Lori, our thought and prayers continue to be with you as you experience this momentary separation from your dearest love.  Your faith and service have inspired and blessed us for years and we hope these words will provide some measure of comfort and peace during these difficult days and the challenges that will certainly come. 

With Sincerest Love and Sympathy,

Jeff and Amy Pincock

No comments:

Post a Comment