Sunday, July 10, 2011

He Worked It So Well...

"Wesley worked his Thunder,
He worked his Thunder so well,
Wesley worked his Thunder,
He told all those other guys to go to ...

Well, Wes and Lori started holding hands
And those of us who saw were all big fans
We were all so glad to see
Wesley work his Thunder."

First of all, you need to understand the concept of Thunder: put quite simply, Thunder is the progress one makes while courting another. So the process of friendship, dating, all that is called Working Your Thunder.

That's where I met Wes. He moved across the hall from me in the summer of 2002. I had no roommates at the time, so spent a lot of time across the hallway with him, Ryan, and their roommates. I knew Wes and Lori had been friends before his mission, so it didn't come as a total shock when within a week, someone asked me if he and Lori were hooking up (not everyone called it Thunder).

When I asked Wes, late one Sunday night, he expressed hope at the possibility. I told him that if he could do this he would have my undying respect and would be my hero forever. Ryan had a "rainstick" in their room - you know the kind, you turn it over and it sounds like rain falling. We gave it a shake to encourage and motivate Wes...these visits continued for the next 1-2 months and were the beginning of something called Sunday Thunder. In addition to discussing Wes's Thunder with Lori, we agreed to help each other out with our Thunder in whatever way possible. The rainstick became known as the Thunderstick and every meeting would end with a celebratory shake.

During one of these meetings I noticed a note on the ceiling above Wes's bed: "You will have my undying respect! You will be my hero forever!"

My words. I've never been the type to inspire others, so it meant a lot to me to see them there.

In the next year I graduated, moved to Boise and met a girl that commanded a lot of attention from a lot of single men - including myself. But how to win her over amidst all this competition? For me, telling a girl that you liked her and wanted to "hook up" was an awkward thing - but Wes had done it so gracefully with Lori. From what he told me, Wes had told Lori that he respected her agency and she could say no at any time, but he wanted to continue asking her out. Beautiful. Bold and to the point, but not an awkward "I like you; wanna be my girlfriend?" I'd like to say I borrowed a page from his book. I didn't. I borrowed his whole book.

And. It. Worked.

Marji and I got married that December. I don't know how much I helped Wes with his Thunder, but I know his example and counsel helped immensely with mine.

We didn't see Wes and Lori for a few years. The next time we did see each other was in 2008. It was a good reunion as our families talked about our recent happenings, future plans, and they treated us to lunch. As we parted, I remember Lori gave Marji a big hug, like they were long-time friends reunited. In reality, it was only the second or third time they had ever seen each other.

But that's what the Trumans have always done well. No matter how many friends they may have, they always make you feel like the most important.

On July 4, the day Wes left this life, it rained. Rare for the California desert, and yet fitting given the circumstances.

Rain.

And lightning.

And thunder.

Wes, you're still my hero and still have my respect. Put in a good word for us heathens down here.

-Ron Crummett

3 comments:

  1. Ron, I love this. What a great summation of those totally memorable months (not that I was involved in many of the thunder meetings, but I still feel like they're a part of my history too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, this post made me smile :) I loved being part of Sunday Thunder!

    ReplyDelete