Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thank You

Several months ago, when Wes’s condition showed steady decline, I got an e-mail from our bishop, Matt Clark. It wasn’t long - just a few kind words of inquiry and a scripture reference.
D & C 121: 9
I immediately recognized the chapter as revelation to Joseph Smith during the agony of Liberty Jail. I thought of the familiar words in my mind as I flipped through the scriptures.
Peace be unto thy soul”
“Thine adversity shall be but a small moment;”
“If thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high;”
“That’s nice of the bishop,” I thought casually as my finger traced down to the anticipated verses. But verse nine contained unexpected words. Tears gathered in my eyes as I read, Thy friends do stand by thee.”
And you have.
I can’t begin to express my gratitude for the support, love, empathy, and assistance you’ve given us.
I have, over the past several months, shed tears of heartbreak and pain over Wes’s anticipated and actual passing. But I have shed perhaps as many tears over the goodness – the God-like, gracious, generous goodness – of our family and friends.
I wish I could chronicle all the kindnesses – all the inspired, meaningful acts of service and love.
Thank you for taking time to contribute your memories and photos to this blog. I wish I could describe what it was like to sit with Wes’s parents, brothers (including Ryan), and sister around his bedside with this website open on an I-pad. I wish you could have heard the laughter and seen the tears as we read many of these entries together. And many thanks to those of you who have posted since Wes’s passing – and even after his funeral! Your words have been a continued, needed comfort.
So have your e-mails and cards, your gifts and contributions, your prayers, your phone calls, your true friendship.
I wish there was a way to document it all!
I wish I could tell you what it was like to watch my ward members collaborate these past months to build the house Wes and I started but couldn’t finish. And now the backyard is done to boot, thanks to a whirlwind of hard-working cousins! Gorgeous green grass and a playground that Lucy and Spencer can’t stop talking about.
I wish I could describe how my mother -heart has felt seeing such love showered on my little ones. I couldn’t help crying thankful tears when Lucy was welcomed into Wes’s viewing by the familiar face of her Kindergarten teacher - to say nothing of the many, dear little friends who showed up to support her!
To say nothing of the many, wonderful friends who showed up / reached out to support me!! People from every phase of my life and Wes’s. Dearest friends to distant acquaintances.
There is no adequate way to express the gratitude I feel for each of you. I told a good friend yesterday that while I wouldn’t wish the difficulty of these past days/weeks on anyone (!), I wish, truly, that everyone in the world could feel the love. The abundant, unbelievable love.
A few talented friends in our ward sang a favorite song of mine and Wes’s at his funeral: The Lord is My Shepherd.
I love all the lyrics. But the phrases that best summarize these past days/weeks/months/years are, undoubtedly:
In midst of affliction my table is spread;
With blessings unmeasured my cup runneth o’er”
God bless you each for the love you have poured into my humbled, aching, grateful heart.
Lori

5 comments:

  1. I loved seeing one little boy at the viewing, standing a little uncertainly carrying a little card with "Lucy" scrawled across it. What cute little friends she has. And I'm so glad not only to be among your friends, but that you have so many that love you. Love you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love you! I echo Heather... I'm blessed to be counted among your friends and so very grateful that there are countless other that love you! And I'm glad that your little ones have wonderful friends/support as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the cemetery I saw a bench near Wes's resting place inscribed with beautiful words that touched my heart. It said: "There are no graves here, these mountains and plains are a cradle and a stepping stone."

    I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we are here for you, your children, and all of the Trumans... thy friends will stand by thee... now and 20 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you Lori--and wish there were more we could do to show our love. You are an incredible inspiration of love, humility, and tenderness and I hope one day to be able to be as wonderful as you.

    ReplyDelete